Osama Bin Laden diary ‘planned attacks’ – US officials

May 12, 2011 at 10:53 am Leave a comment

osama

Osama Bin Laden calculated how many Americans would have to be killed to force the US from the Middle East, US officials say, citing his seized journal and other files.

The al-Qaeda leader reportedly wrote that smaller attacks since 9/11 were not having the desired impact.

Bin Laden also urged his followers to strike smaller cities and hit trains.

The documents were seized during last week’s US raid on Bin Laden’s hideout in Pakistan in which he was killed.

The US officials, who spoke to the Associated Press news agency on condition of anonymity, say Bin Laden’s personal, handwritten diary and computer files reveal his hand in every recent major al-Qaeda threat.
Committees to see photos

These included plots in Europe last year that saw travellers and embassies on alert, according to the two officials.

The al-Qaeda leader envisaged attacks being staged on significant dates, such as America’s 4 July Independence Day and the 10th anniversary of the attacks of 11 September 2001.

He wrote that other American cities such as Los Angeles should be considered for targeting, not just New York.

In his writings, US officials say that Bin Laden wondered how many American deaths it would take to lead Washington to reconsider its policies on the Middle East.

The al-Qaeda leader is said to have concluded that only a body count of thousands, like that of the 9/11 attacks, would be enough.

Intelligence agents are continuing to analyse the documents – said to be around 100 flash drives and five computers – seized in the 2 May raid in Abbottabad by the US Navy Seals.

Bin Laden’s communications are believed to have been in missives sent via the flash drives, as his compound had no telephone or internet access.

The CIA meanwhile has said it plans to allow members of four US congressional committees to view images of Bin Laden’s body.

Until now, the US authorities had been saying the pictures of Bin Laden – who was shot in the face and chest – were too gruesome to be made public and could inflame sentiment.

On Wednesday, Bin Laden’s sons criticised the US for carrying out his “arbitrary killing”.

A statement given to the New York Times newspaper said the family wanted to know why the al-Qaeda leader had not been captured alive.

Another statement appeared on a jihadist website saying the burial of Bin Laden at sea “demeans and humiliates his family”.

US officials have said that while Bin Laden was unarmed he had given no indication to the US troops that he wanted to surrender.

Advertisements

Entry filed under: News.

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Tops Maxim Hot 100 Rockets strike Gadhafi’s compound

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 3 other followers

Blog Stats

  • 148,591 hits

%d bloggers like this: